Markeeta Roe-Phillips: 6/7 VRPs @ Hackham East PS

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

I’m starting with two official working walls for:

1. A mini unit on Australia IN Asia and
    2. Sentence Structure

I’ve never had an official working wall before so this will be interesting.

Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

How’s it going? Is it up yet? Got a piccie? I’m excited!! 😉

Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

Did you manage to get a picture?

Participant

OK so. I’ve taken this challenge and sort of made it my own. I took down EVERYTHING from my walls and have slowly rebuilt them all with the kids. Not that the kids didn’t have input before but this time we’ve been really deliberate in making the walls reflect our learning progress.

We’ve worked on four wall areas:
    Art: we’ve done a short unit on hatching, cross-hatching and stippling.
    Maths: we’ve just finished a unit on data and data displays.
    Geography: a brief intro into Asia being a socially and geographical diverse place before we launched into our bigger HASS topic of Ancient India. (I’ve got photos of my Buddha window but we haven’t used it so far. It’s just sitting there glowing!)
    English: we’ve gone old school and looked at sentence structure so that we can write somewhat more coherently. Anyone for a dependent clause?

Keen to put up some pictures… But not sure how? @matt? @selena?

Profile photo of Matt Woodward Matt Woodward 
    Keymaster

Hey @markeetarp sounds like some awesome work!

I’ve purchased a new plugin for the site today that will allow you all to attach pictures to these threads so everyone can share their progress of the Metateacher Challenges with one another. Here’s how:

At the bottom on the form where you click “Submit” you should also see a button on the left called “Choose Files”, this will let you select multiple pictures from your device. When you hit “Open” (for those files) they will show below the button where you can rename the file (if you wish) then click “Submit” to finalise the post 🙂

Give it a crack and let me know how you go 🙂 As always, fire across any questions you have!

Participant

Here’s a shot of our sentence working wall two weeks in. I can’t find any photos of later than that, although I know I took some. Grrr.

So, as you can see, we started with our success criteria each week and then added a ‘wrap up’ of where we went with that idea.

Attachments:
    Participant

Here are two shots of our numeracy wall during our short unit on data displays.

I started the unit by having the students work in groups, each with a full set of these data displays. I asked them to tell me everything they could find out about each data display. As we discussed them I wrote up what they could tell me and pinned it all up on the wall – that’s what you can see in the first photo.

After we’d done a whole bunch more investigating we added the blue labels. These represent our new learning and you can see them in the second photo. We went on to add some information about mean, median and mode too.

Clearly there was a load of other learning that went with these, but I was astounded at how often the students would return to this TINY display to check their thinking. Even now that we’ve moved onto a new Maths topic and a new display but are encountering a lot of data in our HASS inquiries… It’s still be referred to daily.

Attachments:
    Participant

I still haven’t found the photos of my Buddha window but we have’t used it yet anyway so they will come. In the meantime, my class is building a website that sort of tracks our inquiries. You can check it it out here: http://hepsvrp2015india.weebly.com

Slightly more interesting to look at without having to click on anything is the padlet we’ve created of the kiddos’ inquiry questions. There’s a link to it on our website but here’s a screen shot anyway.

Attachments:
    Participant

I just blogged about a mini Art unit I did with my class at the beginning of term. It talks a little about the working wall we created for that. Here’s the linklink
    I’d LOVE some blog feedback if you happen to feel so inclined. Otherwise here is a photo from the post:

Attachments:
    Participant

So I’m sitting here in my classroom – the kiddos are at French – and reflecting on the learning they, as a class, demonstrated this morning during our ‘mentor sentence’ session. I was thinking about the depth of thinking they showed (about parts of speech, sentence structure and literary analysis) compared to when we first started this particular part of our week back in term 1.

Then I realised, as I looked up at the mentor sentences that I’ve put up on the wall over the year that without realising it, or naming it, I’ve been creating a version of a working wall with these sentences all year. Well d’uh! Don’t I feel bright?

What I’ve done with these is quite different, and to explain I need to explain our process a little:
    1. I choose a strong sentence (sometimes because of a suggestion from a student, or based on something we’ve read, but often because of a particular element I want to highlight at the time) and write it on a huge sheet of paper.
    2. We gather as a class and have a pretty free discussion about what the sentence means. Sometimes I will put it into context, but more often I won’t.
    3. The students break the sentence into parts of speech and I record that on the sheet of paper. Sometimes we’ve had to leave a word and come back to it (or not!). A couple of times I’ve actually had to put in some serious though ahead of time because I have been unsure! (They love hearing this!!)
    4. We then have another pretty free but much deeper discussion about what makes the sentence a strong one. I record this roughly and then transfer it to sticky notes to glue to the sheet.
    5. The students all then use the mentor sentence as a model to create sentences of their own. The outcome of this part has seen some AMAZING writing, and is flowing through into their polished writing as well.
    6. The huge sheets of paper are put up on the wall, and referred to constantly as inspiration for student writing and during discussions about their writing.

So, here is an image of part of the ‘display’ of learning over the year, and today’s sentence. In hindsight I would have done it quite differently but it’s a bit of a work in progress for me too!

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Kristy Kristy 
    Participant

Your presentation was great yesterday. I learned a lot and got some great ideas, so thank you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account