Performance and Development practices

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Sonia Pringle Sonia Pringle 
    Participant

As part of my studies for my Master of Education, I am undertaking an analysis of the DECD Performance and Development policy and would love to hear how it is being implemented in other schools and get some feedback on how performance and development is undertaken at your site. Does your site have formal procedures in place? Are there regular meetings or do they occur on a more ad hoc basis? Do you get written feedback? Any information and ideas you can share would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Pam Thompson Pam Thompson 
    Participant

Hi Sonia,

Currently we meet formally with all teachers twice a year and provide written feedback. We have a pro forms which is still evolving. It has had questions based on the Site Improvement Plan but we are looking at how to align it with AITSL Stamdards without making it too big.

Profile photo of Sonia Pringle Sonia Pringle 
      Participant

Thanks Pam. Do your meetings have a focus on ‘performance’ or ‘development’ or both? It is interesting that it is now called ‘Performance AND Development’.

Participant

A bit of both really. However,as I said I would really like to improve them I relation to AITSL but am aware that it could get bigger than Ben Hur.

We talk about what is happening in the classroom, what teachers are doing in regards to students who are struggling,how formative assessment is being used. This year we are adding a section on student feedback and self-reflection. We also cover Professional Learning and how that has impacted on practice, future professional learning and goals to work towards.

Hope that helps.

Pam

Participant

A bit of both really. We talk about what is happening in the classroom, what teachers are doing re students who are struggling or on NEPs, formative assessment and feedback etc. We also discuss Professional Learning undertaken and the impact that has had on practice as well as future Professional Learning and goals to work towards.

As I said we are trying to improve the process and relate it more to AITSL standards. We are trying to work out how to do this effectively without making it bigger than Ben Hur. This year we are adding a section on student feedback and self-reflection.

Hope that helps.

Pam

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

Fascinating topic. Our school has an evolving process. We meet in term 1 with our line manager with a series of goals around our SIP and strategies we ‘think’ we might use to meet these goals. All of our goals are linked to the teacher standards. In term 3 we meet again to review these goals and present *evidence* of our progress. (Last year we all FREAKED out about this meeting, but quickly learnt that while the evidence was super important leadership were more interested in the discussion around it.) Later in the year we review the whole thing again and reflect on our progress.

One really important thing our leadership team wanted us to keep in mind that this wasn’t meant to be something OVER and ABOVE what we’re already doing. Our school does a LOT of PD and is super supportive of teachers trying out new ideas that support student learning and our SIP. So, coming up with strategies for our goals is simple. My line manager was fantastic in helping me review my goals and suggesting more strategies. The whole process is very focussed on actually developing us as individuals and a collective staff.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account