Working Walls – An Intro and Some Questions to Consider

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tina Photakis Tina Photakis 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

This challenge is to:business studies working wall

1) Create a working wall / space for your students to use in one of their topics this term. This can be a digital working wall (using something like padlet) or a physical space on the wall in your classroom
    2) Take a photograph of your wall before students start their topic and post it in this forum.
    3) Work with the wall for the duration of the topic
    4) Take a photograph as often as you can and post it to the forum, update us as to how the wall is going, what the students are adding and how it’s helping you to plan, teach and learn.

Delve Deeper

As you look at the working wall and how it develops you could consider:
    1) What are you learning about the students in your classroom?
    2) How are the students interacting with and using the wall? Are they looking to it to help them respond to questions, using it to develop their thinking more deeply, is it just a record keeping exercise?
    3) Who’s in charge of the wall? You or the students? Is that important?
    … more to come.
    This week's workto next week

Profile photo of Graham Wegner Graham Wegner 
    Participant

I am thinking that this is a very useful challenge for me to think through in two ways. I don’t teach in the classroom in my current role but I am wondering if a personal wall (there’s a useful wall space in my office that currently just has some timetables on it) to keep track of the various pieces of my role and keep it all rolling in the right direction would be a worthwhile thing to develop. My second thought is to develop a digital wall for my Digital Leaders group that could be put onto one of our flatscreens that lie dormant in my school – Padlet would work well as a way to inform this group of kids about new parts of the program, celebrate some successes with badge achievement or to honour some Leaders putting in some extra effort, provide up to date time tabling for where the leaders need to be when. That would also be worth developing.

Keymaster

These both sounds like excellent ideas! Can’t wait to see them in action ๐Ÿ™‚

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
      Participant

I love the idea of the padlet @grahamwegner! I’m keen to see how you do that… And a bit inspired to set one up for something I’m starting next term. Thanks for the inspiration.
      I agree with you @tambo2202 about including last week’s learning. Wouldn’t it be amazing to have a board that ran the full length of the room so that you could leave a section for every week of the term/unit? (I have a huge classroom but lots of windows and a concertina door into the next room so I’m super short on wall space.) I’m even co-opting the windows by painting them and using them as scratch boards for word walls!

Keymaster

@grahamwegner did you get your wall started in the end? Would love to see / hear about it. Don’t forget that you can start your own thread here to make it easy to write about.

Participant

I haven’t done anything yet – the wall in my office area isn’t as big as I thought so not sure about how to approach that yet. I’m ready to start the Padlet wall for the Digital Leaders – I want to build that over this weekend as I am meeting with them on Monday and want to show them rather than promise that it is still to come.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Graham Wegner Graham Wegner.
      Keymaster

Sounds great! It’ll be good to see a digital example growing too. Can’t wait to see it ๐Ÿ™‚

Keymaster

Hi @grahamwegner,

Did you want to come along to the Co-create day on the 10th? We’re going to be talking Working Walls ๐Ÿ™‚ http://www.reflectgrowth.com/co-create/blog/co-creator-meetup-tuesday-10th-november

Participant

Thank you, Selena, for the invite but unfortunately I am required at staff meeting (and then at my son’s basketball training afterwards) on that date. I will post an update on my wall progress (or lack of) in the next week or so.

Keymaster

That’s a shame!
      It’s so hard to grab a night to suit all. We’re recording it and it will be online soon enough but it will be great to hear what you’ve been up to via the forums too ๐Ÿ™‚

Profile photo of Tammie Meehan Tammie Meehan 
    Participant

I really like the idea of using a working wall like the numeracy one above. I have never done it like that and is a great way to make learning visible to the students, their families and anyone else who stumbles into the classroom. I like the ‘what we did last week’ on display. Providing more opportunities to continue working on that topic… As not everyone has mastered it when you move on. I’ll have a think about what I can do.

Keymaster

I’m going to join in with my #educ3625 group this year. I’m going to hi-jack a wall in our seminar room. It can only be a good thing to demonstrate this to them as learners and teachers! I’ll be late joining you though as I don’t start teaching the topic until after I get back from the UK… soo…. you can all inspire me with your designs first!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

Iโ€™m planning to create working walls for a quick unit Iโ€™m doing on Australia IN Asia (geography) and another for a slightly longer unit on Sentence Structure. (Has anyone else noticed a really poor level of understanding around sentences?)
    Canโ€™t wait to see everyoneโ€™s photos. ๐Ÿ™‚

Keymaster

So… Now i’ve worked out how we can have this as the “forum” and then you can all have a topic underneath it for your thread of progress.. Coool! So…. let’s see what happens… I’ll make this a topic in a forum called “Working Walls” then you can all add a topic for your working walls. Call it your topic, wall focus or your name ๐Ÿ™‚

That way it will be easier to track what you’re doing and how well it’s working ๐Ÿ™‚

Keymaster

OK… all done. ๐Ÿ™‚ You can now enter the Working Walls Forum and then create a topic within that all for yourself ๐Ÿ™‚

Profile photo of Kelly Kelly 
    Participant

The local authority have worked closely with my school this year to develop effective working walls for our pupils in literacy and maths. I found that it took a great deal of time for the children to take ownership of their learning walls despite lots of encouragement. They had the view that displays were for teachers to put up their work and not for them to touch. I did a learning walk around the school and this was mirrored throughout!

After some thought I stapled baskets to the walls so that the children could select effective vocabulary to help with their writing. They started to come up to the wall during lessons but it still wasn’t enough. I asked them to add vocab to the wall, boxed up texts and art but still they seemed to just look from a distance. I really wanted them to come and use the wall and make it their own.

More recently I have asked my teaching support to be really active with it during my teaching input. While the children discuss, share and reflect she takes quotes and adds them on florescent stars to the wall. The children love it! Their ideas are there to share. They now come and look at other children’s idea and they are much more willing to throw up their learning.

One thing I have learnt from the local authority is that they need a really clear sequence of learning. For example, if my main objective was for them to create a persuasive speech I would have technical vobulary, paragraph, layout ect along the top. This is your planning sequence and the wall builds up the skills they need for an effective end result.

I hope my experiences help.

Keymaster

Thanks for sharing that @kell_elizabeth i love the idea of the baskets with resources in and having someone in charge of adding to the wall every session.

Profile photo of Tina Photakis Tina Photakis 
    Participant

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow. I was away when you met in July so missed this great challenge.I’ve enjoyed reading what everyone is doing and I look forward to more discussion and sharing of ideas. There are still some weeks left for me to try this. See you all tomorrow ๐Ÿ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

ยฉ2017 Reflect Growthย a professional development community byย Teacher Technologiesย | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account