Language Teaching

EAL, ESL, EFL, ELL

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Vip Sharma Vip Sharma 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Vip Sharma Vip Sharma 
    Participant

What are some of the strategies you use to support learning for students for whom English is not their first language? We have some classes for EAL students for English but they all follow the mainstream curriculum with an EAL teacher going into lessons to support them. This means helping them to access the meaning of words in order to construct their understanding.

Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

I’ve taught EAL as an EAL class and have had students join my mainstream English classes with a support assistant (as you describe) I guess I used a few strategies like increasing the amount of visual cues available and using technology to support learning as well as a great deal of differentiation and careful selection of the assessment task. It was also vital to be very aware of the speed at which I spoke. Those who know me know I speak quite quickly which is tough if you’re learning a subject in another language!!

Participant

Thanks Selena – those visual cues are vital and I am also discovering allowing students to check the meaning of the word in their own home language is also a good idea as it reinforces the learning in both languages. We are trying to look at how we can have more co-planning time between the mainstream teacher and the EAL teacher in order to ensure that both subject specific and academic language learning outcomes are achieved.

Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
      Keymaster

AH! Time for planning and time to share strategies. Tina Photakis and I were talking about this stuff last night. Do you have anything to bring to the forum Tina? I know she’s working with EAL at the moment too.

Participant

Have connected with Tina and looking forward to her suggestions. You guys must be working non-stop on this!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account