Planning and Teaching Strategies

#geniushour

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tammie Meehan Tammie Meehan 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Paul Huebl Paul Huebl 
    Participant

Hey team – wondering who else uses / has heard of / has dabbled in Genius Hour?

I’ve given it a crack a few times, but with all the other ‘stuff’ going on I don’t think I’ve really nailed the delivery of it and made it a relevant, deep learning experience for the children.

In summary, it stems from the notion of 20% time that groovy companies like Google give their employees to let them follow their passions, using the resources of the company. A heap of products (basically everything Google does that’s not a search engine) have come from employees following their passions during this time. The idea is that we give our students a similar opportunity to follow their passions and self direct their own learning.

My big questions are all related to the idea of how this fits into our already very busy time…

Some links to have a look at if you are unfamiliar.
    http://www.livebinders.com/play/play/829279
    http://www.geniushour.com/

Profile photo of Tammie Meehan Tammie Meehan 
    Participant

I have read a bit about genious hour and iv think that any time you can give your students toc learn about what interests them and fires them up is worth doing. A lot of teachers say ‘But, my curriculum is already crowded, how do I fit it in?’ You can link literacy, numeracy, everything to ideas like genius hour. Learning becomes authentic, purposeful and means something to your students. They will retain what they are learning because it means something to them. I say go for it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account