Planning and Teaching Strategies

Girls, Boys & Stereotypes

This topic contains 1 reply, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jess Ottewell Jess Ottewell 
    Participant

How do we move our students away from the stereotypes which are so forcefully pushed upon them with social media and general media.
    I watched The Mask You Live In movie the other night and I was reminded about #likeagirl today.
    I wrote a blog post about this: http://jessottewell.edublogs.org/2015/04/30/likeagirl-be-a-man/

How do you have these conversations with your students which allow them to be comfortable to express and talk. I have a mixed gender class and I want to have discussions with the boys and girls separately and together.

Anything you can share or advice?

Profile photo of Kyla Casey Kyla Casey 
    Participant

Jess,

I did reply but can’t see where that reply is now!

Participant

Hi,

I did really useful training with Shine called Teach It Like It Is – relationship and sexual health ed. It covered stuff like: Respecting Difference, Love, Attraction and Desire, Power, Vulnerability and Responsibility, to name a few…but it looked at not only how to talk about difficult stuff but also how to present engaging activities around this stuff too and you get a great resource book.

But to answer your question, How do you have these conversations and enable everyone to be comfortable…I think the best way is to be comfortable in talking about this stuff yourself and your ease and grace comes across, also setting up a environment where your students know that they can talk about stuff and that it’s safe and non judgmental and that happens through you modelling this, setting up the class boundaries and in doing this they realise that talking about this stuff can be fun.

Also having an anonymous question box during this lesson where you pull out questions and answer them or even get them to answer them or group/small group discussion.

Profile photo of Matt Woodward Matt Woodward 
    Keymaster

Sorry @kyla-casey that missing reply was our fault, had to remove the word “sex’ from the list of moderation words. Hoping that’s probably the last of that kind of “hidden reply” behaviour as the other words are far more profane!

Participant

Thanks Matt. No probs.

Profile photo of Vip Sharma Vip Sharma 
    Participant

A really interesting area to explore and as you point out especially when we are all bombarded with so many stereotyped views constantly from all angles. Some story books and textbooks are at fault too I have to say. I think it really is a bigger issue than we realise and one that has to be tackled by the whole school; even parents and teachers need to stop and reflect on their own ideas too re boys, girls and stereotypes; consider the language and the images we are using and the messages that are being given out. I think it is through taking time out to ask probing questions and to make students think critically about the language or images being used that we can help them to learn more about how we can be manipulated to think in a certain way. Teaching young people the skills of deconstruction in order to construct their own meaning – a meaning that is based on consideration, reflection and evaluation.

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

@jottewell Have you talked to @jlambshed and Aimee Aparicio about this? They both have brilliant ideas about how to manage this kind of thing. One project that works really well is to have the students look at the way males and females are portrayed in the media. Grab a bunch of mainstream magazines and look at the way the genders are described, displayed and positioned. Create a display of the stereotypical images and words. You can do this with separate gender groups. You can then use something like answergarden.ch to create a word cloud of what they (the students) think girls/boys are/should be. Comparing these with the displays is really fascinating.
    I’d love to know what you end up doing. πŸ™‚

Participant

Thank you for all of your replies πŸ™‚ Some great points.

I love the idea of magazines @markeetarp I will most definitely use this idea. Time to start gathering magazines πŸ™‚
      I have always wanted to do the type of thing you are talking about as I have had discussions with @jlambshed also about this and asking questions such as ‘What words would you use to describe an 11 year old boy’ etc.

@svipula It really is shoved upon them I agree with that, I do understand why children have these views, it is everywhere around them!

@kyla-casey yes, I was looking for your response the other day πŸ™‚ I do like the idea of an anonymous discussion box. Especially being in a mixed gender class they can feel uncomfortable asking questions in front of everyone and it isn’t something I want to force but I do want them to feel comfortable enough to ask, even if anonymous to the class

Participant

Check with the local kindy… They may have some to share. Or ask your kids to ask their grandparents – that always seems to work well. Mens’ health mags are a good source of images of men, they tend to not appear in the usual mags you’ll get.

Participant

Thank you.
      Yes I will give my parents a shout too to see if they have any πŸ™‚ Think my dad has some Mens health ones so will definitely get those πŸ™‚ Ta

Participant

They’re perfect! I mentioned your plans to Aimee too, so hunt her down and have a chat.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Β©2017 Reflect GrowthΒ a professional development community byΒ Teacher TechnologiesΒ | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account