Planning and Teaching Strategies

How do you teach about Shape?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tammie Meehan Tammie Meehan 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

In this topic I’d love to see how many different ways we can share to teach the concept of ‘shape’. It doesn’t matter what year level you’re working with or what text type, what are your favourite ways to teach students to learn about shape?

You can either press reply on one of the ideas below and share your thoughts. It would be great if you could share things like other ways you might use that idea or things you might add or change and why

Or you can add to the list by hitting reply to this message instead.

Let’s see how many different modes, methods and pedagogies we have to share on this one topic!

Keymaster

Walkthrough - Macbeth in this caseI’d better get this one off the ground too. Forgive me, Maths is not one of my main subjects but I have seen some cool practice in my time. I love observing others and learning from them. I once saw a teacher using straws and jelly babies to teach 3D shapes. She had the students creating all sorts of amazing shapes and then exploring their properties. Of course, there was the added bonus of edible corners – That’s probably what made me remember! Sensory I guess?

Profile photo of SWilliams SWilliams 
    Participant

Hi
    I started this year with adding different seating arrangements to my class, like second – reject colour – milk crates. Our problematised situation was how to cover this cube. I will post the vocab, nets, strategic learning we have been doing in later posts. I use a class maths journal to show thinking and reflecting about the work we have been doing.

Keymaster

I’d love to see pictures of that! It sounds really visual and kinaesthetic too :)Sounds great!

Profile photo of Tammie Meehan Tammie Meehan 
    Participant

We are going to end our term with a ‘shape’ exhibition for our prep students and their families. We are going to do a lot of different shape activities over the term and display them in our school’s Learning Centre for the exhibition. We will also have lots of opportunities for hands on shape fun at the exhibition for the students to do with their families and we will set up iPad apps and interactive whiteboard games. Our parents love this stuff and the students become so engaged. They know right from the beginning that they are going to finish up the unit with the exhibition.

Keymaster

It’s so great when you can share a “Big Picture” outcome. Out of curiosity, what are the main learning focuses for your exhibition and are you assessing the kids on it?

Participant

It is important because it makes it real. It makes the students feel like what they are doing will be appreciated.
    Our kids love to see the reaction that other people have to their work. It really helps give them a purpose and the results I have seen from other exhibitions is that they go deeper in their learning. A great communication tool to get parents into the school. We all know how hard it is to engage our school families!
    We don’t assess the kids on the exhibition at prep level. We assess as they are working through the work to display though.

Keymaster

That connection to an authentic audience is just so vital isn’t it!

Participant

Thought I’d share our blog post from our Shape Exhibition. It was a wonderful way to engage our families and our students. The post has some photos from the day. The prep students also shared their learning to the Grade 1/2 students…the younger ones became the experts.

Prepworld Shape Exhibition

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
      Participant

I can see some brilliant learning happening there! What a fantastic idea. My year 6/7s held many exhibitions last year – presenting to other people made them the experts and made the learning much more ‘important’ somehow. Well done.

Participant

At the upper end of primary school the idea of shape morphs a little to take in angles and lines as well. I have a huge ability range in my 6/7 class but the activity they ALL really jumped into with great gusto was designing a mini golf course. They had to use a range of shapes and angles in the actual course; and demonstrate their knowledge of angles in their ‘pro-golfer’ shots.

A couple of years ago I asked my year 3/4s to draw 3D shapes using whatever programme they liked on the computer. It was fascinating to see their struggle, and ultimately their better understanding of the nature of 3D shapes. These same students were also given free reign of the stationery in the class to build a 3D shape in a limited time. They also had to label every face/vertex etc. This was a fun activity with some very colourful results. My advanced students created ‘who am I’ riddles about 3D shapes too. I blogged about that particular unit here.

Participant

Reading about your ‘free range of stationary’ shape activity gave me another idea. You could all them to use rolled up newspaper and construct large 3D shapes. They would be strong and they could go mad with it. I’ll have to remember that!

Participant

That would be such fun! Oversized shapes could be turned into a cityscape…

The other thing we did with shape/angles last year was to have the students work in pairs to build a house. It actually went well beyond shape/angles as they needed to find a way to demonstrate their understanding of the full range of concepts we learnt last year BUT shape/angles/tessellations etc were certainly the focus!

Participant

Cityscape…great idea!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account