Planning and Teaching Strategies

Literary Analysis

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

Our school has a really cleverly developed reading scope and sequence. It’s been such a help for a new(ish) teacher to be able to visualise the big picture this way. Our team felt like we were cheating when we did our whole year planning and didn’t have to wrestle with ‘what’ and ‘when’. 🙂 So, now that NAPLAN is over our year 6/7s have moved onto ‘literary analysis’. I’ll admit that the idea of teaching ‘literary analysis’ was a bit daunting.

I started very informally with a think aloud and a discussion about what ‘literary analysis’ actually is. It was delightful to hear comments like “we’ve been doing this all year”, and “this isn’t anything new” and my favourite: “so all this thinking and talking has a name”! It was brilliant feedback about what we’ve been doing and where I need to push next.

It all got me thinking though. I don’t remember doing ‘literary analysis’ at primary school. Not really until later in high school. How deep should I be pushing? What concepts should I be hoping to draw out?

Any advice out there?

Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

You might find this interesting: The UK’s Assessing Pupil Progress. THis has since disappeared from schools but it was ace! Especially for fine tuning assessment. This is the one for English Reading and Writing. Literary Analysis would come under Reading.

Levels wise… an average year 9 (which in the UK is a 13 year old- your year 8) would be at level 5. For primary years you can see an explanation of the levels and age ranges here. Bear in mind that kids in the UK start school a year earliers. SO your year 8 is their year 9… your year 2 is their year 1 etc.

What do you think? It’s not an Aussie example but it is a very clear picture of expectation at various ages and stages.

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
      Participant

Oh! Thank you! That document is fantastic. Very clear developmental sequence. I will definitely be sharing it with our literacy committee. Thanks @selena.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account