Planning and Teaching Strategies

What other names do we have for “learning goals”? How do you share these with your students?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

The standards talk of “Learning goals”  but what terms do we like to use?

• objectives?
    • goals
    • aims
    1. What are the common terms used in your classrooms?
    2. How do you share them with your students?
    3. How often?
    4. How do you use them to promote learning?
    Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

Our school (as are many others I think) is leaning heavily toward having visible “learning intentions”. Not completely the same thing as “learning goals” but certainly aligned I think. In some classrooms these are displayed – for each learning area – on lovely posters. In other classrooms they are written on the board at the beginning of the lesson. Others include them on assessment design sheets.
    I have such a broad mix of ability levels (and split year levels) in my class that I’m uncomfortable displaying one learning intention for the whole class. I address this by having overarching questions (similar to the IB style of big questions) that I keep bringing the class back to during discussions. Each student (often in conference with me, but not always, and sometimes completely directed by me) develops their ‘next step in learning’ (NSL) toward that question. For example: during a unit about persuasive texts our big question might be “how can we use texts to influence other people”. As we move through our learning programme, NSLs reflect each student’s specific need whether they be to review persuasive text structures,to investigate emotive language, or create a list of rhetorical devices that can be used persuasively. These are recorded in student writing books and so I can very quickly view them for trends and use that to inform my planning.
    With some of my lower level students I help break the question up into smaller ‘bite size’ questions. These students are starting to develop the skill of identifying their own NSLs linked to the questions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account