Planning and Teaching Strategies

What questions do you ask when you’re selecting your learning resources?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kyla Casey Kyla Casey 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
    Keymaster

What are the key questions you believe anyone should ask or consider when selecting learning resources?

Profile photo of Vip Sharma Vip Sharma 
    Participant

This is a Learning Map that I worked on with a colleague;http://goo.gl/NfAVFB; we wanted to get teachers to reflect on their lesson planning by using these questions and then to eventually consider how and why they might integrate a tech tool into the learning.

Profile photo of Selena Woodward Selena Woodward 
      Keymaster

There are some great questions on there to help with the planning process 🙂 I’m guessing you use the questions in each stage to help you to select learning activities and therefore resources? Great stuff!

Participant

Yes, a colleague and I ran a workshop recently at school on creating high impact, tech integrated instruction environments and as part of that we felt it was necessary to get teachers to think about their learning outcomes at every stage of a lesson. This is a link to our workshop material if anyone would like to see it https://tackk.com/highimpactech

Profile photo of LGuthrie LGuthrie 

Some questions I ask:
    Does it have currency?
    Will the students be able to relate to the content?
    Is it engaging?
    Are there opportunities here for higher order thinking?
    What is its purpose in the learning journey?
    Is there the technology (etc.) readily available to support the resource?
    Is it accessible by all students?
    Can I find something even better than what I used last time?
    Is this a good opportunity for us all to try something new?

Participant

If a topic permits I do ask students to find some relevant material too and that guarantees that they will bring in something they are interested in and want to learn more about.

Profile photo of Markeeta Roe-Phillips Markeeta Roe-Phillips 
    Participant

One of the biggest questions that I think often gets missed is:
    *Is there a potential for this resource to be a trigger for any of my learners with a trauma background?

Participant

Good point @markeetarp; a good resource can lend itself to so much in-depth exploration and as Teachers we need to be aware of what impact that resource may have on students.

Profile photo of Kyla Casey Kyla Casey 
    Participant

Interesting to read the replies and thanks for sharing. Also, thanks Vip for sharing your template.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Reflect Growth a professional development community by Teacher Technologies | Privacy | Image Attribution

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account